I read a great article on RISMedia this morning on kitchen trends and here are the nuts and bolts of it.
According to recent surveys by Houzz and the National Association of REALTORS, these are the hottest kitchen remodeling trends right now:
1. Chef's stoves: If you watch The Food Network, you know what a chef's stove looks like. Some of the offered features are flat griddles and cooktops that can accomodate a wok. These are "dream appliances" according to 32 percent of the Houzz survey respondents. It seems that consumers want appliances that look cool, even if they don't cook.
2. Eco-friendly features: Nearly half of the respondents said that using eco-friendly appliances and materials in their kitchens is important. These could include Energy-Star appliances and using cloth rather than paper towels, glass containers rather than plastic, etc.
3. Granite and quartz countertops: 94 percent of respondents said they are changing their counter tops. Granite still tops the list, but quartz is a rising star. Marble only drew ten percent in the survey, and tile two percent.
4. Tile backsplashes: Tile is the choice for backsplash accents. Half of the respondents preferred it. There are many choices when it comes to tile and tends to be one of the more difficult decisions.
5. Floors: Hardwood led the list, and tile came in as a strong second. Concrete and linoleum... not so good.
6. Stainless steel: 65% of respondents favor stainless steel appliances. Some homeowners are even combining appliance finishes or integrating stainless steel into cabinetry. 12 percent are choosing white or color appliances.
7. Islands: Islands are popular in kitchens that are large enough to accomodate them, but they are not a must for most respondents. Crowding an island into a smaller kitchen is not appealing to most.
8. Transitional style: This look is a blend of traditional and contemporary and is growing in popularity.
9. White cabinets: Whites and off whites are the top choice for color schemes according to 73 percent of respondents, a big increase over the previous year. People want their kitchens to be light and bright.
10. Gray color schemes: Kitchens in shades of gray have noticeably jumped over the past past year and is becoming a very popular trend.
Bottom line is that people want easy, clean and unfussy kitchens. Stay away from radical, edgy looks that, in five years, will leave you wondering... "What were we thinking?"
The Ryan-Whyte Real Estate Team
Infinity & Associates